Although New Year’s Eve is usually thought of as a night for adults, there are many things you can do as a family to make it a fun time for all. Even if your kids need to go to be before ringing in the new year, you can celebrate as a family on New Year’s Eve or Day. It’s fun to celebrate family time together in a new KBHome, especially bringing in the New Year in your own place.
1. 2014 Family Collage
Make a collage together , or individually of highlights from the year. Draw pictures, cut out images, use photographs and decorate as you’d like to. Include a big “2014” in the middle of your collage.
2. Write Family Letter
Try composing a family letter, with input from everyone recapping several of the major events that have taken place in your lives this past year. Include hopes and goals for the next year. This can help cultivate in your young children, a desire to plan and set goals and have joy in accomplishments.
3. Drop Your Own Ball & Party
Why watch it on TV when you can have your own family celebration? Dress up in your fancy clothes and build up to the countdown where you drop your own decorated ball (whatever you have around the house). You could even fill a big balloon with confetti and hang it from your ceiling, then pop it at midnight for a grand celebration. Have your family’s favorite songs that you can dance and sing to. Make some favorite treats. You kids will love feeling grown up at their own party.
4. Make is a Story Time
Before tucking your kiddo’s into bed, read a book or two that relates to the new year, setting goals, and friendships. One story we like is: Squirrel’s New Year’s Resolution
5. Craft Fun Party Favors Together
- Have some countdown party balloons with times written on the balloons that you can pop as the time counts down (2:00 pm, 3:00 pm, 4:00 pm, etc.)
- Make a wishing tree where you write your new year’s resolutions on paper cut out like starts and hang them on your tree.
- Create some Countdown Bags: Paper sacks with a clock showing a specific time, the bag is then opened at that time and whatever activity is in the bag, you do together as a family.
- Make your own banner, streamers, and noise makers and then set it all up.
- Make your own News Year’s Eve Wishing Wands
6. Make a Special Family Meal
Decide beforehand what you family favorite will be – or make every one’s individual favorite meal and have everyone help in cooking it all up. Take pictures while you do it and the final outcome.
7. Decorate Your Tree for New Year’s Eve
Before you take down your Christmas tree completely, leave it up for some New Year’s Eve Tree decorating. You can easily find balloons, party horns, ribbons and streamers at dollar tree. Leave the lights on to it can be enjoyed all night.
8. Family Breakfast at the Waffle House
After sleeping in, gather your family and cruise over to a delicious waffle house for some good old fashioned morning eats! Let the kids order whatever they’d like. Even if it’s later in the day, you can have breakfast for dinner. This is a fun tradition for kids as well as adults. What a breakfast to look forward to all year!
Image sources: Twin Trees Hotel, Pinterest, Teacher Help For Parents, Hoboken, She Knows, Miss Shirleys