As you and your family prepare to reunite for your Thanksgiving Day festivities, it’s a good idea to plan ahead for your trip to grandma’s. For those who will be driving from their new KB homes in Tampa during Thanksgiving week here are some traffic tips from your local news station. Find out when the worst days and times are for driving and learn how to avoid Black Friday chaos.
Google Maps offers Thanksgiving traffic tips for Tampa Bay area interstates
Google Maps looked at 21 cities across the U.S. from the Monday before Thanksgiving through the Sunday after Thanksgiving for both 2012 & 2013: Austin, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Honolulu, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Portland, Providence, San Francisco, Seattle, St. Louis, Tampa, Washington, D.C.
TAMPA TRAFFIC TIPS
- Worst day to travel: The worst time for traffic across all of Thanksgiving week in Tampa is 3:00pm on Wednesday.
- Skip the rush: The worst time for Thanksgiving traffic in Tampa falls between 2:00pm and 4:00pm the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Better to leave before 1:00pm or after 5:00pm on Wednesday if you want to beat traffic.
- Second worst traffic day: In Tampa, Saturday and Tuesday are the second and third heaviest traffic days – turns out, Black Friday doesn’t draw huge road traffic after all.
- Thanksgiving Day traffic: Thanksgiving Day traffic is a breeze – in Tampa, it has the least traffic in the entire week; for the traffic gurus looking to best even the lightest traffic days, make sure you stay off the road between 11:00am & 1:00pm on Thanksgiving Day.
- When to drive back home: If you’ve taken a long weekend trip for Thanksgiving, is it best to drive back on Saturday or Sunday? Traffic patterns show that, in Tampa, traffic is about 23% worse on Saturday than on Sunday.
- Changes in holiday traffic: Thanksgiving traffic increased slightly in Tampa between 2012 and 2013.
GOOGLE MAPS DIRECTIONS TRENDS
- Leading into the Holiday: The top three Google Maps trends the day before Thanksgiving in Tampa were movie theatre, arena, & electronics store, as Floridians began their Turkey Day festivities.
- Gearing up for Black Friday: “Electronics store” is the #1 trending Google Maps term on Thanksgiving Day in Tampa, perhaps as the most dedicated shoppers stake out a spot as the clock strikes midnight on Black Friday. Department store and movie theatre came in at #2 and #3.
- Black Friday Shopping: The top three Google Maps trends on Black Friday in Tampa were electronics store, cell phone store & shopping center as Floridians head to the stores.
Article provided by ABC Action News