We live in a cell-phone-addicted world. The thought of going 8 hours without one makes many of us shudder and want to hold our electronic a little closer.
But you need better sleep. Your mattress calls to you and offers a night of uninterrupted sleep, but with cell phone in hand we can sabotage our sleep before it even begins.
Turn the cell phone off and step away, slowly. By now you are probably ready to cry out your reasons you must have your cell close by all night long.
Do you see yourself in these most common motives to keeping your smart phone next to you at night:
Reason 1) You use your phone as an alarm clock
True alarm clocks are SO ten years ago. If you cannot bring yourself to use an old-school clock to wake you up each morning, set your cell phone away from your sleep space. That increase in proximity will decrease the radiation exposure. You are also forced to stumble out of bed to turn it off, aiding in snoozing more minutes that you should.
Reason 2) You cannot miss important communication
Again, if this is a reason for you, it is still a good idea to keep your device at a distance that is healthier. You can also use a feature called “Do Not Disturb” which shuts down alerts from everything except the few contacts that you choose to enter into the program.
Reason 3) You can’t go to sleep without listening to music or your current audio-book
Here is the good news: you can use wireless headphones and still keep your phone on the other side of the room, or even a neighboring room. You can also set your listening to shut off after a specified time.
Many find it worth it to wean themselves off of electronic aid to sleep, and find a much better pattern for sleep without it.
Reason 4) You don’t plan well and fall asleep as you peruse social media, etc
This is where self-discipline really comes in. Our addiction to our electronic device is often through the channels of keeping upon social media, news, and entertainment. Setting healthy boundaries and then forming habits will help immensely in your goal to get better quality sleep. Our minds need a break from the stimulation, our brains need the quiet and dark to release the hormones needed for sleep, and we can do without the added stress, especially before bed.
Why ever would we do that? Consider this:
1) The light of your screen signals your brain to be awake. We need all the sleep-inducing hormones, body temperature regulation and any other function in our bodies to make us feel sleepy! The cell phone stimulates all the ones that tell the body to be wide awake!
2) Cell phone radiation is becoming more widely-studied, and while there is not published conclusion that it causes cancer, research suggests that it interferes with your sleep. Sleep studies also show that sleep amounts and quality have everything to do with mental health, the body’s ability to regulate and heal, as well as maintain healthy weights. Instead of keeping your phone at your bedside (or even worse, under your pillow!) try leaving your phone in the kitchen or another room overnight
If you are interested in a better quality of sleep, consider alternatives to your phone at night:
- Begin by choosing a “home base” for your phone or device and put it “to bed” before you begin your nightly routine.
- It actually feels really good to simplify your path to bed, and your body will thank you for it!
- Try reading a book, or going through an evening meditation cd.
- Without the distraction of your phone, you mind and body can more easily reach a state of relaxation and sleepiness.
- Try out a returnto a days-gone-by manner of settling down for the night, you may be happy you did. Get a mattress with a Sleepys warranty for peace of mind.