Through the research performed by the Loughborough University’s Sleep Research Center director, Professor Jim Horne, and a study done by scientists at the Duke University in Durham, North Carolina, we learn that there are a few differences between the sleeping needs of men and the sleeping needs of women. Although you may already know the answer, which one do you think needs more sleep? Take a look at these discoveries and remember that Sleepys returns are easily available to anyone, man or woman, who could use a better mattress for sleeping.
Professor Jim Horne discovered that:
- Due to the differences in brain function women need around 20 minutes more sleep than men.
- Men’s brains are wired to think clearly and simply which means that they can fall asleep faster than women and remain fast asleep all the night through.
- Women’s brains, on the other hand, are wired to think many things at once which means that they can take a longer time falling asleep than men and they may have a difficult time staying asleep all night through.
- Due to the differences in their brain functions, Professor Horne suggests that women could benefit from the extra 20 minutes of sleep.
The Duke University Scientists learned that:
- The bodies of men and women respond differently to lack of sleep.
- When a man loses sleep here and there he does not suffer from any major health issues and his lifespan expectancy is basically unaltered.
- However when a woman loses sleep she quickly develops a higher risk for psychological disorders, blood clotting and heart disease.
- Duke University also found that men don’t have as many reasons to suffer from lack of sleep as women do. Men have the ability to sleep through noise and children’s voices, while women experience much discomfort during pregnancy and menopause and are also able to wake up easily to the voices of their children.
- That being said, women are also greater candidates for lack of sleep than men resulting in a need for more sleep than men.
Whether you’re a man or woman, sleep is important to each of us. Learning the differences between the sleeping needs of men and women can help you improve your own health and find a way to help improve a loved one’s health.
Tell your friends and make sure the women in your life are getting the sleep they need and let the men know that they should be thankful for their ability to sleep easily.
Image sources: news.com, atpconference, duke.edu, listentoyourbaby