Your kb home is built to be as energy efficient as possible, with its own energy star seal of approval to prove it, but there are still basic maintenance activities that every homeowner should do to keep their home running as warm as possible during the winter months.
Here are just a few to keep in mind as you stay cozy in your warm home.
- Keep your vehicle fuel tank topped off. Check the level of your tank occasionally to see how much fuel you’re using.
- Keep your thermostat no lower than 55 degrees. The walls and crawl space of your home, where water lines run, is a lower temperature than the air in your home. If the air in your home is too cool it won’t keep your water lines from freezing.
- If you heat with a wood or pellet stove, follow the manufacturer’s instructions to keep it operating properly throughout the winter.
- Add insulation to your attic. If your attic doesn’t have enough insulation the heat will cause snow and ice to melt during the day and refreeze during the night on the roof in your gutters creating “ice dams”. These dams can cause damage to the roof and the rest of your home.
- Caulk windows to prevent heat loss.
- Add weather stripping to doors to prevent drafts.
- Replace window screens with storm windows if needed in your area.
- Watch for water leaks and fix them immediately when they occur.
- Wrap water pipes in UL-listed heat tape and insulation, especially in uninsulated areas.
- Be aware of where your water shut off is. If you do experience a frozen water line you can shut off the water supply and prevent further damage until you get it repaired.
- Trim trees and branches that are too close to your home and that might cause damage during a snow or ice storm.
- Keep handrails in good repair, people rely heavily upon them when steps are icy.
- Keep your gutters clean of leaves, sticks, and ice dams.
- Make sure that all fire alarms and carbon monoxide alarms are in working order.
- Make sure you have a snow shovel, roof rake for snow, and ice melt crystals on hand to keep your walkways clear and ice free.
- Keep your snow blowers in good repair.
- Store fuel for your snow blowers in approved containers, away from combustible materials.
Follow these tips for a happy and healthy winter at home.