The discussion of a bathroom remodel has finally arrived!Both of our full bathrooms are located on the second floor, and we also have a first-floor powder room. As a group, they’re the three people I despise the most. There’s a lot of work that needs to be done on all three of them, but I’ve opted to get started with a makeover for now. Our son’s bathroom is where I’d want to begin. The 12-year-old resident of the home and occasional visitors use this restroom often (if we ever get any). The first step of this strategy is to repaint the bathroom fixtures. I’ve done a lot of reading on this topic and have come across many divergent points of view.
Here is where I confess that my spouse did not share my enthusiasm for the idea.
But he realised he couldn’t stop me.
The situation, he conceded, can’t get much worse.
Have you checked out the bathroom’s new tub and tile?
Really, what hue is that?
I went to Amazon.com and bought the Rust-oleum Tub & Tile Refinishing kit.
The stores around here didn’t have it, and I gave up looking.
It claims to be suitable for use in painting both tubs and tiles.
As a result, why not?
I used the Rust-oleum product according to the manufacturer’s instructions, which included a great deal of scrubbing.
Using bleach to clean.
Comet Cleaning ( I used A-jax).
Cleaning with Lime-Away.
And then there was the sandpapering.
We spent a lot of time cleaning.
A total of 1.5 hours were spent cleaning.
After a thorough cleaning and drying, the tub was ready for its new coat of paint.
It was really dry by morning since I let the tub air out.
The next day, I pulled out some plastic and painter’s tape.
I took great care to mask off the area so that I could use my Graco Spraystation to paint it.
After taping off the area, it was time to prepare the surface for painting.
You get two cans of Rust-oleum product in the Tub and Tile Refinishing package.
Can A has to be poured into Can B, and the two containers should be well combined.
I blended them using a paintbrush.
You might expect a rather watery coat of paint.
I put the finished paint into my spray paint can since I was going to use it.
Epoxy has quite strong fumes, so be careful.
To vent the odours outdoors, I opened the window to my bathroom and placed a box fan there.
Additionally, I was equipped with a face mask and breathing apparatus.
I can state without a doubt that I did not detect any odour when wearing it.
The stench was rather strong, according to my spouse.
I guess I’ll have to take his word for it.
Okay, I’ve got the paint sprayer primed and my mask on.
Ready, set, paint!
The tile over the bathtub was my first priority.
Tile painted well with a single coat.
After the tile was down, I began working on the bath.
A second layer is applied after waiting one to two hours after the first.
First I had to give the tub a second coat since I didn’t have too much paint left after the first.
Before I was through, I used up all of the paint I had.
I also had paint running down the outside of the tub very badly.
Wow, that’s terrible!
Do you remember how I stated I couldn’t buy this in a store near me?
I guess I’ll have to wait till Amazon ships more.
Just so annoying.
However, I had yet to finish painting the backsplash above the sink.
My second box of Rust-oleum Tub and Tile wasn’t here yet, so I primed the surfaces with a paint sprayer.
I primed the shutters with the exact same paint.
The To cover the tiles, I applied a coat of exterior white gloss paint.
Fantastic job, these tiles look great!
Even the hiccups with the bathtub are largely forgotten by now.
Since the tile above the sink was so enticing, I went ahead and gave the floor tiles a fresh coat of paint.
To remedy the situation, I had my husband take out the unsightly toilet and I scrubbed the floor well.
Similarly to how I painted the tile above the sink, I also painted the floor.
Painted with a high-gloss exterior paint after being primed.
As the picture shows, I never did get around to fixing the tub.
I have procrastinated long enough.
As a result, I had to go repair the bath.
In this instance, I opted to make use of a roller rather than a sprayer.
Epoxy residue in the sprayer was a major hassle the previous time around.
Besides, I was only painting the bathroom fixture.
Applying Rust-oleum Tub and Tile with a roller was a whole other animal.
The concoction, as I said earlier, was watery.
Painting the tub was like pouring water when I first began using the roller.
Before rolling it on the tub, I soon learned to roll out ALL of the extra paint.
An first coat was applied to the whole tub (or third if you count a few days ago).
An hour later, I went back and gave it a second coat.
I had to go back with a brush and fix the horrible runs I made the first time around.
Still in need of some finishing touches, the bathroom’s tub, tiles, and floor are already worlds better than they were before.
Absolutely all of the trouble was well worth it.
Linking up with Savvy Southern Style for Part 2 of our Bathroom Remodel.My friend June Thunderstorm and I once spent a half an hour sitting in a meadow by a mountain lake, watching an inchworm dangle from the top of a stalk of grass, twist about in every possible direction, and then leap to the next stalk and do the same thing.
And so it proceeded, in a vast circle, with what must have been a vast expenditure of energy, for what seemed like absolutely no reason at all.
“All animals play,” June had once said to me.
“Even ants.” She’d spent many years working as a professional gardener and had plenty of incidents like this to observe and ponder.
“Look,” she said